Friday, June 12, 2009

World Blog Surf Day: Try a Crunchy Warm Euro Dog

One of the top ways author Rolf Potts recommends stretching one’s dollars with the goal of seeing the world affordably in his book “Vagabonding” is to take advantage of “street” food. While wandering around Prague’s Andel metro station with a rumbling stomach one day, I saw a hot dog stand advertising Euro Dogs. I would not go out of my way to eat a hot dog in the States. But a Euro Dog…I had to try it.

There are no words to describe what an improvement it is on the American version! What is most fabulous in an American hot dog? The meat and the fixins, right? The bread is just kind of there to hold the whole thing of ketchup, mustard, chopped onions and pickle relish together. Not so with the Euro Dog!


The Euro Dog is actually vertical, rather than horizontal. Rather than laying the dog down in a trench ala American style, the Euro Dog is planted in the bun like a post in a post hole. And what bread! There are no words to describe how perfectly toasted and yummy the bread is in a Euro Dog. It’s done to a crunchy warm perfection. Because the bun is vertical, the sandwich can’t support onions (at least they weren’t offered) but there is slathered, delicious mild European mustard, not our bright yellow kind. The Euro Dog is fantastic! Cost = $3.75 or 75k.


Want to read about more expat food experiences? There are over 30 expats writing about their food adventures for World Blog Surf Day - a carnival of experiences organized by my friends Sy and Sher in Prague.

Here's the link to all who are participating in case the chain accidentally gets broken:

http://tinyurl.com/m42fvo

or if you want to keep traveling around the world to the next expat in line, a nice young woman in Prague name Sezin who shares her experiences of Ethiopian food, click here:

http://signs--of--life.blogspot.com/2009/06/food-of-gods-ethiopan-experience.html

Sher has this thing so wonderfully organized there's even an expat tweeting about World Blog Surf Day! Power to the people! Check out Anastasia, her bio and her tweets:

Twitter Home Page: Thandelike

"Anastasia Ashman (Thandelike) is an American cultural producer based in Istanbul, and is a creator of Expat Harem, the anthology by foreign women about modern Turkey. Her Tweetstream focuses on women, travel and history, and she shares resources for writers/travelers, expats, Turkophiles and culturati of all stripes. "



7 comments:

hospitalera said...

Rofl, that is funny, I just took a photo of the Euro Hot Dog stand at Malastrana a few days ago, whilst showing around a visiting friend! After your recommendation, I will try them next time! SY

Sher said...

Hi Karen,
I would LOVE to try a Euro Dog!!! I know that spot you're talking about by Andel metro station...the smells are always great and always start my stomach to rumbling! I'm allergic, but I do enjoy the smells that waft my way!!!!

Yes, Thandelike is doing a great job of Twittering about WBSD!!! Actually, Hospitalera had this set up with Thandelike before I came into the picture. It was such a graet idea that I thought it should remain in place as long as Thandelike was still interested!

Have a great day,
Sher :0)

Kathy said...

I use to love hot dogs burned on the grill before I quit eating meat a few years ago....you dog sounds awesome though!

Oscar said...

Meow, I would love to eat a hot dog, or even a cold one ;-) As long as it doesn't bite me! I am always amazed what kind of things you humans eat... Oscar the Expat Cat

Ivanhoe said...

Parek v rohliku! Yum! Another Czech food I miss and completely forgot about :o)

Emmanuelle Archer said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I used to love those hot dogs as a kid, especially when my family went to the swimming pool and I was starving after an afternoon of playing in the water.

Half the fun was looking at the hot dog machine, with the compartment where the hot dogs were steamed, and the metal spears to heat up the bread. Good times!

Emmanuelle

Robert said...

I came across this blog by accident and I must say that this Hot Dog doesn't cost 75k and it never did for sure. The price varies between 20-25k, which is slightely more than a dollar. Even the most expensive hot dogs you can buy in Prague (it's usaully a disgusting bratwurst for an unreasonable price AKA tourist trap) don't cost more than 50k. Hope it helps :)

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog