Monday, April 19, 2010

Pictures at an Exhibition

Jana, center, invited colleagues
Justin and me
to join her at a reception
for a Czech photographer's
exhibition of Tibetan culture.
It was the 50th anniversary
of the Dali Lama's exile from Tibet.

I predicted that one of my students
with a thing for Tibetan culture would be there.
This was the only time I ever played hooky from class.
I guessed, correctly, my student would be playing hooky too!
We rescheduled the class for another time.

The reception was at one of the Czech Parliament Buildings.
Here is the receptionist's nifty period in-and-out-board
for knowing which official is in the building
and which isn't.

Prague is full of beautiful cloak rooms
with pleasing period fixtures.

and a few toys.

The librarian in me was completely enthralled by
these glorious documents on display
on the way to the reception room.
Look at the "signature" seals on these things!

The explanations were only in Czech
but I believe the document below is a
Czech constitution from some moment in Czech history.


The reception was very intimate
and felt more so due to a light rain outside
falling on the skylights.
Yet, this government-sponsored reception
felt completely accessible, open, and friendly to
anyone with an interest in the topic
whether they were Czech or from some other country.
I love that about the Czechs.
I never get the feeling of "exclusion - natives only please."

There were all kinds
of interesting people in attendance.



The guest of honor: the photographer
who took the beautiful photographs on display.

A sample of her photographic work above.

Czech people know what it is to be a tiny country
that feels forgotten.

I came away from this evening understanding that
there are supporters of Tibetan rights
all over the world, not just the USA.

Jana was excited to meet Kateřina Jacques,
Vice Chair of the Czech Green Party.
"She is like our Obama!"

Jana explained to me that Kateřina Jacques
had become famous throughout the Czech Republic
of her 'treatment' by authorities at a political rally
at the start of her political career.

Jana was toying with getting involved in Czech politics.
I admired my friend for that because
my experience so far had been that Czech people don't see how their
individual involvement in politics can make a difference. 
It can! It does!

And to end on something lighter than politics:
my favorite food discovery of the evening
was this Czech pastry I was
introduced to that night - věneček.
It's the one second from the right.
Totally, totally worth the calories.

No comments:

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog