Friday, June 4, 2010

Drivers and Passengers without Borders

As an American, one of the things that impresses me about Europe is the amount of political risk-taking the average European is willing to step up and try as a citizen of the EU.  To tinker with elements of government as basic as currency, and border controls, and levels of local vs. continental control requires a level of shared vision that I find extraordinary in such a compressed space of time. These people are really taking thoughtful yet exciting risks with their governance.

I look at the resistance to change in reforming an outrageously dysfunctional element of American society,  health care, and then compare that to European real and actual political risk-taking and marvel at what they get done.  I celebrate one of the EU reforms that I believe Europeans cherish:  the right to cross country borders within the EU without inspection or stopping. It completely serves the people's interest.

Our travel itinerary to Sofia
included crossing the borders of
Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, and Bulgaria.

The ability to just drive through the border
stopped when we reached Serbia.
Serbia is not a member of the EU.

 When you are here in Europe,
not being a member of the EU
seems like you and your fellow citizens
have lower class status.

Everyone piles out of the bus
while we go through Serbian border controls.

It was definitely a pain to stop
when everywhere else
the people's representatives
have negotiated speed.

That's how it feels and looks to an American.  I'm interested if it appears the same to Europeans.  Do Europeans without membership in the EU get treated as second-class citizens? Do they feel like second-class citizens? Do those of you who are Europeans cherish this right to cross borders as much as I think you do? What other reforms do you cherish?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,

Can you explain a bit more about the second class citizen feeling cos I'm not sure I understood why...I am from the EU, but I still need Visas etc in countries where my government has not organised an agreement with, e.g. the US, just like people not from the Schengen zone need a visa to enter the Schengen zone as their government does not have an agreement with the zone. I think it is not a situation of first and second class citizens, but of political situations we have to deal with...

Karen said...

When you're stuck at the Serbian border after sailing through every other country, people have time to ponder "well why doesn't Serbia have membership in the EU?"

Belonging to the EU requires meeting your neighbor's standards, whatever they maybe, and hence, it "feels" like the citizens there haven't met their neighbor's standards.

Fabian said...

http://blog.fabian-vendrig.eu/2010/06/%E2%80%9Cu-srbiji-je-sve-moguce%E2%80%9D-part-5-registration/

That happens when a Dutch men goes to Serbia :-)

But it is true, it is madness: when somebody from Serbia goes into the Schengen area, everything will be precisely checked!

Karen said...

Fabian, since all four of my grandparents are from the Netherlands, I can, of course, completely understand the desirability of anyone of Dutch heritage! :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I sometimes felt as a second class citizen even in Germany or the United Kingdom. However, it's usually happening only amongst not so intelligent or educated people. When some foreign men hear that I'm Czech, they think I will go to bed with them without hesitation or that I will take any job for very little money (what's unfortunately true for many Czechs). And it's kind of funny to explain even to some British people that we don't speak Russian as our mother tongue and that we have TVs and washing machines in our homes:-)

You have a very interesting blog.

Jana

Anonymous said...

Hmm - I understand your point to a certain extent. but then where would you stop? Should all borders be removed? Should the border between say US and Mexico be disbanded so that the Mexicans don't feel like second class citizens (or the other way round!) And what about e.g. the UK which is not in Schengen because they decided so? Are they to be considered better off or worse off?
Malta only entered Schengen zone in 2007, but I must admit I never felt any less than others - showing passports at borders is the way it is, and not having such stringent checks is an added bonus not a 'black mark' against the country who has it I think.

Knedliky Etc said...

Hi Karen,

I've just stumbled on your blog via Black Girl in Prague and am enjoying looking through.

I've linked to you from my new Prague food and drink blog :

http://knedlikyetc.blogspot.com/

Would you mind linking to me in return?

Thanks,

Knedlikova

Karen said...

Congratulations Knedlikova on your new blog! I wish you much success.

Sher said...

Hi Karen,
I understand what you're saying about feeling like a second class citizen when going through the border checks. Not being a European one can certainly have that feeling. I live in the Czech Republic on a long-term visa due to being married to a Czech. Even so, when my husband and I travel together, and go through the border checks, I have to stand in a separate line from him...he's in the EU passport line, and I have to be in the "all others" line. This makes you feel a bit like a second class citizen. This process is reversed when we visit the US together.

Even so, border checks are just routine and normal precautions. All countries have a right to protect themselves from criminals, drug dealers, human traffickers, etc. The system is far from perfect, but its what we have to deal with until there's a better way.

So many foreigners coming to the US feel as you do, too. Being photographed and finger printed can be a demeaning experience. Also, having to obtain and pay for a visa just to come to our country is not an easy process.

Actually, we (Americans) have it easy here in Europe and on the continent compared to what foreigners have to deal with when they come to the US.

Anyway, it's fun to hear about your experiences--looking forward to more! :0)

Have a great day,
Sher :0)

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog