Friday, September 9, 2011

Scenes from Farmer's Markets in the Lubéron

For a week straight, my college friend Robin and I did nothing but shop and eat and talk to her husband Jim.  Jim, as a wine maker and a long-time restauranteur, was always the cooking showman in the family.  Now as he recovered from his brain surgery, Robin was the family chef, and Jim reveled in her skills.

Robin and I loved to go to the Farmer's Markets in the Lubéron and see what was on offer.  While the Loumartin market was possibly the most showy, the one in Cadenet was charming, accessible, and not too crowded. The people-watching was just as wonderful.
Beautifully-displayed zucchinis
  Equally Pretty Melons
A lovely French shopper
shows off
the sculptural quality
of the lettuce
This handsome couple
spends two months in Provence
each year and 10 months in Spain.
They showed me their French car.
It's called a 2CV.
They told me the design of the car
resulted when the French Government 
asked Citroën for a vehicle that could carry four people,
50 pounds of potatoes,
and a dozen eggs,
without breaking the eggs.
That is such a French thought, n'est pas?
It is an iconic vehicle
and much loved
in France.
Not every shopper
was full-grown.
The Cadenet Farmer's Market was set up on the Municipal Boules Court (the French game of lawn bowling). 
In nearby Cuceron, I had the chance to see another municipal place that French people had created for themselves: the breathtaking grove of plantain trees in Cucuron surrounding a city pond. I found it calming.
 There were restorative sidewalk spots to
enjoy the view of the Plantain grove
and the water.
A French woman sustaining their
worldwide reputation for chic.
When you see a pork leg
with the hoof still on it,
you're very aware it came
from a real live animal, aren't you?
Ack! I've written before
how American food writers say
Americans have the reality
that they're eating actual animals
kept far from them
by styrofoam and plastic film.
I know this ham is a delicacy.
I love this ham!
I have no desire to be vegetarian!
Facing this pork leg being sliced
made me so uncomfortable.
 It's so *real* served this way.
I love to eat rabbit,
at least fresh rabbit from
styrofoam and plastic film.
But...when it looked like
it had a pet name of Bunny
only yesterday?
Culture shock!
 The French version of a
lemonade stand.
This little boy was selling
packaged herbs.
Does your mail carrier look like this
back home?
Mine neither.
The Cucuron village mail carrier.
Everything is more glamorous in France,
even the mail.

4 comments:

Miss Footloose | Life in the Expat Lane said...

This post is enough to make me want to pack my bags and move to the Luberon, but then I wanted to do that way back when I first read A Year in Provence ;). I've visited the South of France in the fall and loved the markets; truly heaven for foodies!

I may settle there yet, or maybe Italy, or Ecuador. Decisions, decisions!

PS. We once owned a 2CV, not in the best of shape though ;)

Karen said...

Karen, one of the things that made me giggle because it was just like the book "A Year in Provence" is expats in Provence would show the kind of excitement you would expect from someone getting into Harvard whenever they got a Provencal tradesman to show up in the middle of August "French vacation" to do some work.

My friend Jim would always say the locals were too busy "being Provencal" collecting fine tomatoes, truffles, and cheeses in pursuit of their fabulously foodie lives to actually come and work on their expat homes.

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

I feel like I've spent a day in France. I actually did go to our local farmers market...more an artist/cooking show this time of year. It is 95 here in Portland, Oregon and our flowers are drying on the vine. First no summer until July 28 and now we finally got what we were wishing for. We should be careful what we wish for I think!

b

http://www.retireinstyleblog.com

Karen said...

b, welcome to my blog! I look forward to checking yours out. Keep coming back, I'm glad you're here.

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog