Sunday, June 30, 2013

Turkey's Ethnic Diversity

Turk, Kurd, Bosnian
Circassian, Nomad, Immigrant
Laz, Albanian, Georgian
Alevi, Sunni, Şafii (what is that?)
One of the things I love about Turkey is something it has in common with America: ethnic diversity! I always say Turkey is as diverse a vegetable stew as America - it just has different vegetables. And all of those vegetables are new to me. I met a Turk or two before I came here, Bosnians too (often new immigrants to America), but I am sure I never met a Kurd, or an Alevi (hadn't even heard of them before I cam here). I only knew the word Circassian from reading Mark Twain, they are now a diaspora people for the most part. I met a Laz woman once during spontaneous outdoor dancing in Turkey, but to see their culture I would need to go up to the Northern Black Sea coast. Albanians, Georgians, Armenians, Assyrians, and Greeks help make up the Levantine culture that is so wonderfully fun to experience because it is so different than what I am used to at home.

Once you've experienced diversity, do you find going back to a homogeneous society kind of boring? I do. It's all the differences that make life interesting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Şafi is a branch/school of Sunni muslims. In Turkey, mostly some Kurds from South Eastern Turkey are Şafi. Majority of Turks are Hanefi branch/school of Sunni Islam.

Karen said...

Thank you, I did not know that.

Unknown said...

hello, just stopping by to say hello.İ'm an American in İstanbul here since 1987. İ have a work blog, feel free to contact me :))

Karen said...

Hi Kathryn, Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog