Thursday, July 31, 2008

We Can Solve It, post two

This week I devoted an hour to help solve global warming:

1. Watched Al Gore's speech about America moving to all clean power within ten years. Time invested was about five minutes.

2. Emailed my friends to ask them to join the wecansolveit.org campaign. This move to clean energy is equivalent to Americans setting a goal to have humans on the moon within ten years. Two of my most politically active friends joined. I hope more will as we get closer to election day. Time invested was about five minutes. I think this was my most important action because it's leveraged with millions of others behind a leader, Al Gore, with a detailed vision and the credibility to make it happen. Actually, what's really exciting, is that I just noticed how new it all is and I'm in the first 1.5 million Americans to join. Nothing like being on the cutting edge of a political movement - want to join us?

3. I ran into my congressman, Congressman Don Manzullo, this week and lobbied him to move America toward clean power technology and away from dirty coal technologies. At his request, I also went to his website to see his 12-point plan for lowering gas prices. I am not as interested in lowering gas prices as I am in developing alternatives to fossil fuels, but it's only fair that if you ask to be listened to that you listen back. Time invested about thirty minutes.

4. I went to my utility's website to get the phone numbers of the executive office so I could call and advocate for clean power. While at the site, I noticed the CEO was recently president of the nuclear power trade association and gave a speech about the future of the industry. I read the speech. I will change my phone call from asking them to switch to clean technologies to asking the execs how I can help them make it happen. They seem to be all over this. Time invested was about twenty minutes.

It was interesting and fun. Click on the title to see the wecansolveit.org website.

No comments:

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog