Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where's the beef?

Before donating blood today, I was asked this question among the other six thousand they normally ask: "have you spent more than five years living in Europe?

"What difference would that make in the fitness of my blood," I asked.

"Mad cow disease. They don't want it entering the U.S. blood supply."

What? If I eat a hamburger in EU, do I have to worry about such things? Do y'all worry about getting Mad Cow Disease via your beef consumption over there? I thought we, the Americans, were supposed to have beef Europeans objected to, not the other way around.

What's up with that?

2 comments:

Sher said...

Hi Karen,
I was shocked they wouldn't let you give blood if you had been in the EU!!! That's something new! I only eat McDonald's hamburgers over there...don't know if they are any safer, but I'm very careful about ground meat there (in Czech Rep). I only eat the ground meat that my mother-in-law makes!
Sherry :0)

Karen said...

Surely, the EU countries have something similar to our U.S.D.A inspections, right? It's enough to make me a vegetarian once I get there!

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog