Saturday, December 13, 2008

Scenes from a month of TEFL

November was a terrific month to come to Prague and take a TEFL course for many reasons. First, our class count was low. The month before was still high season and there were 20 students not ten. Secondly, we were in our school from 8 a.m. till after dark many days. Why not do it in November when we weren't missing any sunshine? If it was July or August, the entire city would beckon with beauty. This way we'll be settled in by summertime.

We all passed the course and begin teaching January 5th. Ian went home to Odessa and I moved out of student housing after finding a terrific flat. Jana and Gulnara helped me move to my new place by each dragging a big red suitcase through the metro, over cobblestones, and through lots of slush.

I'm a Praguian now, Prahan, Prawn? What do you call someone who calls Prague home?

Our first night in town
Adam (aka, The World's most fanatical Blazers fan),
Danielle, and myself


Gulnara, Anna, and Ian

Here we are trying our first Czech beer
at the Hungry or Thirsty Deer Pub
(I can never remember if the deer is hungry or thirsty -
probably both)


Ian says the Russian superstition is whomever sits
in the corner will never get married.
oops, too late

Last day of classes with my gal pals

Gulnara and me

Jana and Gulnara enjoying lunch in our school cafe

They made sooo much fun of me in the cafe one day
for being excited about my broccoli gratin
they took my picture with it -
but come on, doesn't it look like fantastic comfort food??

Great food + great friends = happiness

5 comments:

Sher said...

Hi Karen,
Congratulations on passing your course! I knew you would do it! Now you're able to get out there and have some fun and celebrate this new part of your life!

Nola said...

Congrats! You are now a Prazan! Hope you enjoy your first Christmas in the CR; Vessele Vanoce!

Michael Carøe Andersen said...

Karen, congratulations on the course! I guess you are on to go out and teach now :)

Ss said...

You are inspiring!! Which TEFL course did you take? I'm thinking of making the leap!

Karen said...

Sarah, I would recommend taking the course at a school you're going to teach at because it's so fun to hang out with the fabulous people you meet in your course after TEFL is over. Or another option is to take the TEFL course in Western Europe, since it's hard for North Americans to get permission to live there - students are welcome.

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog