Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Disarming the Velvet Revolution

Text ColorVaclav Havel
waves to the crowd in November 1989

CNN has put together a whole group of videos commemorating an "Autumn of Change" when the Berlin Wall fell. I was particularly drawn to this story of the choices individuals were forced into at the time of the Czech Velvet Revolution.

CNN producer Tommy Etzler describes what it was like serving in the Czech military twenty years ago. He describes his own instantaneous organizing within the military in such a matter-of-fact way, I just want to pause a moment to honor real and true bravery. Click on my title to read his story and view the videos of "Autumn of Change."

2 comments:

Chaplain said...

Hi Karen - We've just come home from the centre of Prague where we've been watching some of the celebrations marking the 20th Anniversary of the beginning of the Velvet Revolution. By coincidence, we saw a CNN Film crew with there temporary HQ, set up in Wencelas Square, in a British registered van and associated awning. A laptop set up under the awning was showing the very videos to which you refer! Unfortunately, I can't watch them here as the video card on my ancient computer doesn't work properly and by choice, we do not have a TV of any kind. However, your linked article made very interesting reading.

I shall probably blog tomorrow my reflections on todays events. Watch this space!

Karen said...

Oooooooooohh, that sound you hear is my pain at not being in Prague! I can hardly bear not having been there today. My heart has been in Prague all day. I look forward to reading your post, Ricky!

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog